Community input is a vital component of the Comprehensive Plan, as it provides valuable insight into the strengths, goals, wants and needs of the Hagerstown community.
The Hagerstown Plan Commission has collected community input through both surveys and public meetings. The results of this input provide direction for future goals and action plans.
Surveys were distributed to Hagerstown residents via email, social media, postal mail, and various town locations such as the IGA grocery store, Nettle Creek Hardware store, and the Hagerstown-Jefferson Township Library.
- Resident’s gender
- Resident’s age
- Resident’s employment status
- Resident’s relationship status
- Whether resident’s household includes children under 18
- Whether resident rents or owns home
- Location of resident’s home
- Length of time resident lived/worked in Hagerstown
- Why resident returned to/left/lives in Hagerstown
- Why resident intends to leave/stay in Hagerstown
- One positive aspect of Hagerstown
- One negative liability of Hagerstown
Results of the survey were compiled and assessed by members of the Plan Commission.
On June 12, 2013 a public workshop and open discussion was hosted by the Plan Commission. Residents were
encouraged to give voice to their ideas, concerns, and aspirations regarding the future of Hagerstown. The
meeting was held in The Meeting Place on Main Street and was moderated by Susie Ripley, who is an East Central
Community Liaison from the Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs. Attendees were asked to
respond to various questions during the meeting and to vote on their top five answers for each question.
Results of this meeting are summarized below.
What qualities does Hagerstown currently have? (Top Responses)
- Strong church community
- Great schools
- Strong fire, EMS, ambulance, and police departments
- Great parks
- Great restaurants
What opportunities does Hagerstown have for improvement? (Top Responses)
- Career jobs and tech jobs
- New infrastructure (water, sewer, electric, storm sewer)
- Great sidewalks
- Retirement community
- Large YMCA
- Small liberal arts college
- Bike paths
Most importantly, we would like to thank the people of Hagerstown for their support and involvement in their community.
We would also like to thank the Hagerstown Plan Commission for their time and dedication to this task, for their insights in creating a positive vision for the future of Hagerstown, and for facilitating this great undertaking.
Plan Commission Team
- Brian Longbons, President
- Shaun Lieberman, Vice President
- Chris Lamar, Member & Town Manager
- Becky Diercks, Member
- Suzanne Huntsman, Member
- Thera Logston, Member
- Brandon Sanders Member
- Bob Warner, Member & Town Manager (Ex)
- Brian Clark, Member (Ex)
- Clarence Plankenhorn, Member (Ex)
- Nate Logston, Vice President (Ex)
- Pete Schaffner, Member (Ex)